Have you been deliberate in building your profile online to support your professional and career success? Or perhaps you have found it a challenge to decide what is private and you would not want to share online and what you are happy for the world to see if they search for you on Google?
These are some of the topics I wanted to explore with Ian Forrester who was co-hosting a workshop at the recent conference Thinking Digital Manchester which I attended thanks to being a member of the Sage business experts team – Sage was one of the main sponsors of the conference.
I had done some research about Ian who is a member of the BBC R and D team based in Manchester before we met at the conference, and it was clear to me that he was prolific in the amount of information he shares online, often related to his passion and interest in helping small businesses and startups in becoming digitally literate.
You can hear the interview with Ian in this podcast. Some of the topics that we cover includes:
- tips for building your presence online using multi media and making sure that the real you shines through rather than having a fake persona
- a debate about authenticity and if that is an over used term today
- how to manage what you post and share online – Ian made the point that personally if there is content online he has posted about himself it is there because he wants people to know that about him
- how to become comfortable on camera especially given social video and live streaming
- perceptive media and what we can expect in the future
- how Ian decides where to put his energy online when sharing content
- defining what success is for Ian online
- what Ian would do differently if he were starting to build his online presence today.
We also spoke about the unusual name of Ian’s blog – listen to the podcast for the challenge Ian has set people to see if you can work out the origins of his blog name, Cubic Garden.
I hope the podcast with Ian has given you some food for thought as you come to plan your online communications to support your professional goals in the year ahead.
Additional Resources For Building Your Profile Online
You can read this article to help you learn how to use LinkedIn to increase your visibility online.
Read this article which I wrote to support an event I was speaking about developing your digital career – it will assist you in making sure that your skills remain relevant.
If you are looking for LinkedIn education check our this FREE event the LinkedIn Success Summit taking place from 7-11 December 2015 where over 30 LinkedIn experts (mainly from the US) will be providing tips on how to use LinkedIn to attract more leads and sales. If you miss the free event, there will be the opportunity to invest in the recordings.