I recently came across a business coach who had taken a challenge to post 365 days of live streams. Initially, they were using Periscope as a platform to publish to and then moved to Facebook Live when that became available.
What a great achievement to have been able to be consistent with creating video content for 365 days in a row.
I checked out their channels on Facebook and Periscope and could see that while they only have 291 people who are fans of the Facebook page they are averaging about 100 views of the live stream which is pretty solid and that is with no advertising.
Watching a video that they posted about what they learnt from the challenge they talked about how they had changed the quality of their live stream by adding a lavalier mic, moving from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 6S and occassionally using a tripod.
What I would have love to have heard is what the challenge meant for them personally and professionally beyond them mentioning they got a lot of practice with public speaking. The reason I say professionally is that they are live streaming from their business page, so I would anticipate there being an impact to their business for example attracting new customers and leads.
What are they going to do now? They are not continuing with the daily challege but they are planning to continue to live stream several times a week on topics such as Monday Motivation and Friday Reviews.
They also mentioned that they have published all their videos to YouTube. Over the 365 days they have recorded over 30 hours of content which they can use now as ideas for blog posts. This would certainly be a good idea for them to do as it looks as though their first and last blog post was almost a year ago.
But I so wish I knew them personally as I would have love to have been able to share some tips on how they could have further optimised their video content on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube which would have given them even more chance for success.
Six Actions To Take If You Are Considering Participating In A Live Stream Challenge
I see a significant increase in people running and participating in challenges including live stream challenges – it even seems to be the latest marketing ‘gimic’ to invite people to participate in a 5 day challenge and then upselling into a programme once the challenge ends.
Before you embark on a live video challenge especially if it is for a longer period such as 30 or even 365 days, I would encourage you to think about the following:
- What is the reason you are undertaking this challenge?
- If you are taking the live video challenge in relation to your business, what do you want as an outcome?
- How are you going to measure results from your participation? 30 hours of content created in 365 days would also have meant some time in preparation so the investment will be more than 30 hours for the coach referenced in this article.
- Have you choosen a live video platform that will help you achieve your goals? For example, if you want to use live video to reach a new audience consider live streaming on the platform that they are using.
- Have you outlined what will be the benefit to your viewer of investing time in watching your live stream? Make sure that you lead with your audience in mind – your live stream content should deliver value to them if you want them to watch your live stream or replay.
- Do you know how to and where to repurpose your live stream? Do not leave your live stream recording only on the platform you stream to. Firstly it may not exist in the future as we have seen live video platforms launch and then close with no notice and secondly you need to take action with your replays if you want your content to be discovered and watched in the future.
With a little time and attention you can boost your online visibility and attract more leads and sales if you optimise your live stream replay and consider repurposing it onto other platforms and in other formats.
If you are considering using live video in your business and even want to set up your own live video challenge but would appreciate some guidance to maximise the impact for your input, you can schedule a 15 minute strategy call with me today.
Get recommended resources and tips for social business and live video success FREE!
Biz Growth News is my FREE monthly digest of actionable social marketing and live video news you can use to grow your business